Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Unexpected



First graders in North Tunbridge at the Wellspring Waldorf School skate during their movement class on Monday. It was the first day the school used the rink, made by parent volunteers. Part of a hill in front of the school was sprayed with water for sledding. Valley News - Sarah Priestap



I do a lot of driving around the coverage area looking for features photographs (or as we call them here, standalones), and especially this time of year it isn't always easy to find people outside of their homes, especially when the temperature is hovering just around 0 degrees F. Because of this, I spend hours rubbernecking, listening to the radio, and praying that I'll find something interesting.

I was driving through Tunbridge when I saw some figures on a hill. At first glance, I thought it was children exploring a field, so I turned around and drove up the hill. When I crested the hill, I saw that they were skating on a makeshift rink, that, at the bottom of the hill, had been hidden by the tall grass. These first graders were skating for their wellness class, which would be a super fun thing to do at any age. We never had activities like that at my elementary school!

No comments: